Resource Page for Software Engineering Students

Living in Canada as an International Student

We understand that moving to a new country or city can be a bit difficult if you do not have the right information. So we have put together some information to help you with your transition.


Housing is one of the most important things to consider when moving to Ottawa. The University of Ottawa provides some on & off campus accomodation mainly available for undergraduate students. You can also find housing close to school and even in town. To know the criteria and ways to search for housing, go here.


In Ottawa, there are a number of ways to get around. The first is obviously having your own car. As a student at uOttawa, you are also eligible for the U-pass which helps you get on OC Transport buses at a cheaper rate than the next option. However, this pass is only issued and used during the Fall and the Winter. The third way is getting a Presto Card. For more information on this, go here

School Insurance

While in Ottawa, making sure that you are in good health is important and knowing where to go when you are not feeling to well is even more important. Without insurance, medical care can be very expensive. Visit the International students insurance page to learn about your insurance options.

Social Insurance Number

The Social Insurance Number ( SIN ) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. You can get it free at any Service Canada Location. You can use this link to look for a Service Canada location near you.

Driving license

While in Canada, you may also want to obtain a Canadian driver's license. Go here for information on obtaining an Ontario driver's license.

Immigration options

According to the new regulations, the Univrsity of Ottawa cannot provide consulting service for immigration. However, you should be able to find the information you need from the official Citizen and Immigration website here.