SITE in the News!
SITE has received a donation from Adobe consisting of 2 Flash Media Server 2 Professional
Edition (Full licenses) and 60 copies of Adobe Flex Builder 2 (Full licenses) in support of the
Undergraduate Teaching Program at SITE and particularly the courses SEG3120/SEG3520 taught by
Prof. Abdulmotaleb El Saddik in Winter 2007. The Faculty of Engineering acknowledges Adobe's
generosity and support of our students in Engineering and Computer Science.
Professor Jianping Yao, is the recipient of the Faculty's 2007 George S. Glinski Award for Excellence in Research.
In the 2006/07 national competition of the highly selective NSERC Strategic Grant program, the University of Ottawa has been awarded
7 grants, of which 5 went to the Faculty of Engineering. SITE is pleased to announce that 4 of those 5 grants have gone to SITE
professors, and congratulates the following faculty members for this excellent achievement:
In addition, Professor Iluju Kiringa has also won an NSERC Strategic award as a co-investigator
in the University of Toronto project
"Data Sharing in Peer Networks" by Renée Miller, John Mylopoulos, and Iluju Kiringa, funded at $136,000 per year for 3 years.
- Professors Ahmed Karmouch and Ali Miri for their project "Seamless mobility management of users and services over heterogeneous
networks", funded at $127,000, $132,000, $116,000 for three years.
- Professors Hussein Mouftah and Pin-Han Ho (from University of Waterloo), for their project "Availability-Aware Survivable Routing
Architecture for GMPLS Networks", funded at $152,000, $147,000, $121,400 for three years.
- Professors Shervin Shirmohammadi, Abed El Saddik, and Nicolas Georganas for their project "HARVEST: A Framework for Haptic,
Interactive Virtual Environments for Tele-presence", funded at $155,500, $155,500, $155,500 for 3 years.
- Professors Ivan Stojmenovic and Amiya Nayak for their project "Energy
Conserving Coordination and Data Communication in Wireless
Sensor Actuator Networks", funded at $124,000, $118,000, $118,000 for three years.
- MCRLab/DISCOVER researchers Mauricio Orozco, Behzad Malek, and Abdulmotaleb El Saddik receive the
Best paper Award at the 6th international conference Virtual Concept,
for their original work "Graphical Password with Haptics".
Computer Science Ph.D. student Naim El-Far of the Discover lab
has won the
Russ Jackson Award, one of "Canadian Interuniversity Sport's highest football honours.
A public lecture in honour of the recipients of the G.S. Glinski and John V. Marsh awards took
place on Wednesday, November 22, 2006. Canada Research Chair Professor Azzedine Boukerche
was the recipient of the George S. Glinski Award for Excellence in Research
and Professor Claude D'Amours was the recipient of the John V. Marsh
Award for Excellence in Teaching.
MCRLab student ASM Mahfuzur Rahman and DISCOVER student Razib Iqbal,
supervised by Professors El Saddik
and Shirmohammadi respectively, share 3rd prize at the 2006 annual Intelligent Interactive Learning Object
Repositories Conference (I2LOR-2006) for their demos "Distributed Learning Objects Visualization in Virtual
Environment" and "Adaptation of Video Learning Objects Using MPEG-21 DIA".
MCRLab student Huiyan Qi, supervised by Professor Zhao, receives 2nd prize at the 2006 annual Intelligent
Interactive Learning Object Repositories Conference (I2LOR-2006) for her poster "Human Visual System Based
Adaptive Digital Image Watermarking".
Canada Research Chair Professor Azzedine Boukerche, Professor Mourad El-Hadef
and Master Student Hisham El-Kadiki of the PARADISE Research Laboratory won the BEST PAPER award for the
paper: "Diagnosing Mobile Ad Hoc Networks: Two Distributed Comparison-Based Self-Diagnosis Protocols",
at the 4th ACM International Workshop on Mobility Management and Wireless Access, Spain, October 2006.
Hapticast, a 3D first-person shooter with wizards and haptically enabled
wands by SITE Master students Sheldon Andrews (supervised by Dr. Jochen
Lang) and Javier Mora (supervised by Dr. WonSook Lee) from DISCOVER Lab,
took the runner up prize for Future Game Technology and Design.
- Professors Hussein Mouftah and Azzedine Boukerche
were honored at the University's annual reception in
celebration of excellence in education and research.
Dr. Mouftah was one of two UofO faculty
members to receive the award of Distinguished University Professor.
Dr. Boukerche was one of the four recipients of the
Ontario Early Researcher Award at the University.
- Professors Shervin Shirmohammadi and Jochen Lang have received a $121,664
grant funded by the Canadian Foundation of Innovation and the Ontario Research
Foundation for their research in Collaborative Virtual Presence Modelling,
Communications, and Applications.
- SITE introduces a new graduate certificate in
Modelling and Animation for Computer Games Technology.
- Professor Herna Viktor, adjunct professor
Eric Paquet and Ph.D. student HongYu Guo will receive the PKDD
Innovative Application Award at the European Conference on Principles and
Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases(ECML/PKDD2006) for their paper
"Measuring to Fit: Virtual Tailoring through Cluster Analysis and
- Professors Miodrag Bolic and Wail Gueaieb receive CFI funding for
the development of Smart Autonomous Mobile Robots for Rescue Missions (SAMRRM).
- Professor Nicolas D. Georganas has won the prestigious Canadian Award
in Telecommunications Research for 2006.
- Danny Collier, a student in second year of Software Engineering, was crowned Canadian
Airplane King at the National Red Bull Paper Wings championship in Toronto.
- Ginette Trottier, Undergraduate Academic Assistant,
CEG/CSI, is the winner of the Support Staff Prize of Excellence of the University of Ottawa.
- Professor Claude D'Amours has been awarded the Faculty of Engineering's 2006 John V. Marsh
Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Professor Hussein T Mouftah, Canada Research Chair I in Optical Networks,
has received the 2006 Distinguished University Professor title
- The University of Ottawa is pleased to announce unprecedented improvements to its Graduate Awards and
Financial Support Program, effective May 2006. For details, please refer to
- Professor Hussein T Mouftah has received the IEEE 2006 McNaughton Gold Medal, the
highest distinction of IEEE Canada
- The undergraduate programs offered by SITE have been improved! Please see this
summary of the modifications
- Professor Azzedine Boukerche has received the 2005-2006 George S. Glinski Award for Excellence in Research of the Faculty of Engineering
- Professor Hussein T Mouftah has received the very prestigious Julian C Smith Medal of the
Engineering Institute of Canada awarded for
"Achievement in the Development of Canada" (PDF announcement available)
- Canada Research Chair professor Azzedine Boukerche is one of the
only four uOttawa recipients of the Ontario "Early
Researcher Awards". This very prestigious award, previously known as Premier's Research Excellence Awards (PREA),
was announced in the Ottawa Citizen on November 27 2005.
- SITE introduces the Distinguished Lectures on Information Technology and Engineering (DLite). Details at
- Andrew Roczniak, Ph.D. Candidate under the supervision of Dr. A. El Saddik at the
MCRLab, received the "IBM Student Conference Grant" at the ACM Multimedia
2005 Conference for his work on Incentive of P2P collaborative environments.
- Professors Nicolas D. Georganas, Gregor v. Bochmann and
Tuncer Ören are recognized as Pioneers of Computing in Canada by the IBM Center for
- Lijun Chen of the DISCOVER Lab won the BEST PAPER award for the
paper: L. Chen and N.D. Georganas, "3D Mesh Compression Using an Efficient Neighborhood-based Segmentation", at the
9th IEEE International Symposium on Distributed Simulation and Real-time Applications (DS-RT 2005, Montreal, Oct. 2005
- Dr. Tyseer Aboulnasr has received
the Order of Ontario for 2004.
The Order of Ontario is the province's highest and most prestigious honour. (conferred to a person that showed
excellence and of exceptional realization in Ontario).
- Professor Paola Flocchini was awarded by the University of Ottawa a very prestigious
University Research Chair (URC).
- SITE PhD student YanPing Chen of the ASERT lab has been chosen as an IBM Ph.D. Fellowship
recipient for academic year 2005-2006.
SITE Ph.D. student Svetlana Kiritchenko of the TAMALE Lab has been chosen as a 2005 CITO Research
Excellence Scholarship ($5,000 award) winner.
SITE Ph.D. student Saeid Nourian of the DISCOVER Lab has been chosen as a 2005 CITO Research
Excellence Scholarship ($5,000 award) winner.
Professor Nicolas D. Georganas is appointed as Associate Vice-President Research
Alumni Joseph A. Nour, BASc 1990 (ELG) and
Simon Nehme, BASc 1990 (CEG) are the recipients of the Faculty of Engineering's 2005 Alumni Award of
Excellence for their success in building their company Protus IP Solutions.
Alan Stewart receives the
University of Ottawa Support Staff Award of Excellence in the Technicians and Technologists category.
Professor Sylvia Boyd is the recipient of the University of Ottawa's
2004-2005 award for Excellence in Teaching.
Professor Ivan Stojmenovic has been awarded the Faculty of
Engineering's 2004-2005 George S. Glinski Award for Excellence in Research.
Professor Abdulmotaleb El Saddik has been recently recognized among the
Best Teachers at uOttawa by the La Rotonde magazine in its April 2004 edition based upon the annual teaching evaluation reports.
SITE Ph.D. student Saeid Nourian of the DISCOVER Lab was awarded 1st Prize (and $500) at the CITO Innovators Showcase in Toronto, Nov. 24, 2004, for "BEST STUDENT PRESENTATION".
has been recently recognized among the Best Teachers
> at uOttawa by the La Rotonde magazine in its April 2004 edition based upon the annual teaching
> evaluation reports
- Professor Nicolas D. Georganas contributed this brief
of the former Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- Professor Hussein Mouftah has received
the prestigious 2004 IEEE
Edwin Howard Armstrong Achievement Award.
Professor Tim Lethbridge has
received the prestigious Mather Premium award from the Institution of Electrical Engineers
(IEE) for the paper "Comparative study of clustering algorithms and
abstract representations for software remodularisation", co-authored
with Nicolas Anquetil.
Professor Dan Ionescu has received an National Capital Institute of
Telecommunications (NCIT) AGM/BoD award "In appreciation
for outstanding contribution to the NCIT*net Advanced Research Network"
- ARISE, the University of Ottawa robotics team, successfully participated in the 7th Annual International Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) Competition, which was held in San Diego from July 28 to August 1. ARISE ranked in sixth position (out of 18 teams) and was awarded the "Best New Entry Award".
- Professor Emil Petriu was awarded by the University of Ottawa a very prestigious University Research Chair (URC).
- Professor Emil Petriu received the
Award for technical excellence, given by the IEEE Instrumentation and
Measurement Society, for "outstanding contributions to the theory and
practice of robot sensing and perception."
Professor Andy Adler received $48,707 from the
Foundation for Innovation (CFI) matched with an additional $47,707
from the Ontario Innovation Trust for advanced research in
portable non-invasive biomedical monitoring technologies.
Ph.D. student Waël Hassan finished second in the
2003-04 Student Technology
Venture Challenge, where he presented his PrivaDoc product. This
was followed by an interview on Rob TV.
- Professors Luigi Logrippo, Tuncer Ören, and
Lou Birta contributed this brief
of the former Computer Science Department.
Professor Nicolas D. Georganas was awarded, on June
Honorary Doctorate from the Darmstadt University of Technology, in Germany.
Professors Abdulmotaleb El Saddik and
Alan Williams, who are creating the "Secure
Multimedia Research Group" to study ways of preventing breaches of computer
security, received $353,715 from Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI)
matched with an additional $353,715 from the Ontario Innovation Trust.
Professor Abdulmotaleb El Saddik has received a 2003
Research Excellence Award (PREA).
- Ms. Aurore Morin has been chosen as one recipient of the two support staff
- SITE's ARISE team
is the University of Ottawa's first entry into the 7th International Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Competition.
- Professor Gilles Delisle is
the recipient of the CCPE Meritorious Service
Award for Professional Service, given for outstanding contribution to a
professional, consulting or technical association or society in Canada.
Professor Hussein Mouftah
receives the 2004 George S. Glinski Award for Excellence in Research.
2002 and before
- Professor Nicolas D. Georganas has been
appointed founding Editor-in-Chief of the new "ACM Transactions on
Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications
- Professor Gilles Delisle, Director of SITE, has been elected
Fellow of the The Institution of
Electrical Engineers (IEE) of the United Kingdom.
- Professors Liam
Peyton and Herna
L. Viktor received $319,537 from the Canada Foundation for
towards an Intelligent Data Warehouse Laboratory (IDWL), matched with
an additional $319,537 from the Ontario Innovation Trust.
- Professor Emad Gad received the Governor General's
Gold Medal and the Carleton University Medal for the best Ph.D. performance
- SITE is now a major partner in a new $7.5 million NSERC Research Network:
"LORNET: Learning Objects
Repositories Network", which involves six canadian universities. SITE
professors Nicolas D. Georganas,
Eric Dubois, Abed El Saddik,
Shervin Shirmohammadi, and Jiying Zhao will receive
about $1.25 million over 5 years to study the "Creation, search and delivery
of advanced multimedia learning objects".
- The paper "Dominating sets and neighbor elimination-based broadcasting
algorithms in wireless networks" by Prof. Ivan Stojmenovic
(SITE), M. Seddigh and J. Zunic, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and
Distributed Systems, Vol. 13, pp. 14-25, Jan. 2002, has been cited as a
"Fast Breaking Paper"
for Oct. 2003 by Thomson ISI Essential Science Indicators.
- Professor Trevor Hall
of SITE, Canada Research Chair in Photonic Network Technology,
has recently been named a Fellow of
The Institution of Electrical Engineers
(IEE) of the UK.
- Computer engineering student, Vijay Narasimhan, wins the 2003 C.D.
Howe Memorial Foundation Engineering Award.
- The SITE building has made the front page of the July issue of the 'Canadian Architect' magazine.
- Professor Azzedine Boukerche, a new professor at SITE, receives a
Canada Research Chair.
Mustapha C. E. Yagoub,
Lucia Moura and
receive major funding from the Canada Foundation for Innovation.
Ph.D. student Rami Abielmona
received the CITO Student Research Excellence Scholarship.
Professors Sunil R. Das, Emil M. Petriu
and doctorate student Mansour H. Assaf received the 2003
IEEE Donald G. Fink prize paper award.
SITE students won two of the four awards for the Student
Paper Competition at the 2003 Canadian Conference on
Electrical and Computer Engineering on May 7th. Congratulations
to Yi Liu (with Professor Pierre Payeur)
and to Wei Zhang (with Professor Claude D'Amours).
Professors Hussein Mouftah
and Tyseer Aboulnasr
(Dean of the Faculty of Engineering) have been elected Fellows
of the Canadian Academy of
Professor Emil Petriu
receives the 2003 George S. Glinski Award for Excellence in Research.
Professors Gregor v. Bochmann,
Trevor Hall, and Oliver Yang are
part of a successful new $7 million NSERC Research Network on
All-Photonic Networks, led by McGill University.
Professor Nicolas D. Georganas received the Queen's
Golden Jubilee Medal by Ontario Minister Brian Coburn, at a ceremony at the
Ottawa Congress Center, January 18, 2003.
Professor Paola Flocchini has received a 2002
Research Excellence Award (PREA) to carry out research on Security
in Distributed Mobile Systems.
Professor Eric Dubois has been elected Fellow of the
Engineering Institute of Canada.
Professor Sylvia Boyd has received one of the ten
Excellence in Teaching Awards of the University of Ottawa.
- SITE will host the Sun Developer Day conference on January the 9th 2003.
- Professors Sunil Das and Emil Petriu,
and Ph.D. student Mansour H. Assaf are co-recipients of the 2003 IEEE
Donald G. Fink Prize Paper Award, for their paper
"Fault tolerance in systems design in VLSI using data compression under
constraints of failure probabilities".
- Professor Daniel Amyot has received the
University of Ottawa's Pierre Laberge prize, granted in recognition
of an excellent doctoral thesis in sciences.
- A team of SITE students led by Ph.D. student Rami Abielmona
has received the Best
Student Presentation Award, at the CITO Knowledge
Network Conference 2002 held in Ottawa on Oct. 24 2002.
- Professors Robert
L. Probert, Alan Williams and graduate student Qing
Li have won the SDL-2000 design competition.
- Professor Gregor von Bochmann receives the
- SITE's new building is inaugurated.
- Roger Montcalm is the recipient of the University of Ottawa Support Staff Award of Excellence.
- Professor Nicolas D. Georganas receives the coveted 2002 Killam Prize.
- Andy Pan, a second year Electrical Engineering student, has won the prestigious CD Howe national scholarship.
- Professor Sylvia Boyd receives the Faculty's Marsh Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- Professor Sunil R. Das is inducted as Fellow of the Canadian Academy of
- Professor and Dean Tyseer Aboulnasr is named a Fellow of
the Engineering Institute of Canada.
- Professor Jérôme Genest receives funding from the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) for his research in optical communications
- Professor Gregor v. Bochmann to receive the University of Ottawa Award for Excellence in Research, recognizing his pioneering research in software engineering and communication protocols.
- Professor Nicolas D. Georganas has been named as
University Distinguished Professor "in recognition of unusual scholarly
achievement at the University and preeminence in a particular field of
knowledge". This is an honor given to a very select few to a total of ten
active professors at the University any given point in time.
- PMC-Sierra donates 8 UltraSparc-10 Unix workstations to SITE.
- Professor Nicolas D. Georganas has been inducted
in the Order of Ontario.
- Professor Gregor v. Bochmann is the recipient of
the 2001 Thomas W. Eadie Medal of the Royal Society
- Professor Emil Petriu has been inducted as Fellow
of The Canadian Academy of Engineering.
- Professor Pierre Berini has been selected as the
recipient of the University of Ottawa Young Researcher Award.
- Launch of the third competition
of the Lucent Global Science Scholars Program. In the past two years, 3 of
the 5 Canadian students that won this prestigious award were from SITE.
- Professor Nicolas D. Georganas receives the
prestigious 2001 Researcher Achievement Award of the
TeleLearning Network of Centres of Excellence.
- Professor Nicolas D. Georganas is the recipient of
a prestigious Canada
Research Chair in Information Technology.
- Professor Charalambos Charalambous has received the
prestigious Ontario's Premier Research Excellence Award (PREA).
- Professor Emil Petriu has been elected Fellow of
IEEE (The Institute of Electrical and Electronic
Engineers) with the citation "for contributions to the development of
pseudorandom encoding techniques for absolute position measurement".
- Professor Nicolas D. Georganas receives the Bell
Canada Forum Award from the Corporate Higher Education Forum. This forum is
dedicated to fostering understanding and collaboration between Canada's
business and academic communities.
- Dr. Tofy Mussivand, who is cross appointed with SITE, has been elected
a Fellow of Royal Society of Canada in the
Academy of Science.
- Professor Pierre Berini wins Ontario Premier's Research
- Professor Sunil R. Das receives the Rudolf Christian Karl
Diesel Best Paper Award of the Society for Design and Process Science, for the
paper "Space Compression in VLSI Circuits Based on Nth Order Detectable Error
Probability Estimates and Derived Sequences," presented at the Fifth World
Conference on Integrated Design and Process Technology, Dallas, TX, June 2000.
- Professor Monique Frize receives the prestigous
Life time Achievement award.
- SITE team ranks second in 2000
International Feature Interaction Contest
- Professor Dimitrios Makrakis wins Ontario Premier's Research Excellence Award.
- Mitel and the University of Ottawa establish
Scholarship Fund for Photonics Research.
- The Pathmakers program, led by Professor Monique Frize wins the
1999 Engineering Student's Project Award from the Canadian Engineering Memorial
- Professor Nicolas Georganas wins
the McNaughton Medal, IEEE Canada's highest distinction.
- Professor Jean-Yves Chouinard
wins the Neal Shepherd Best Propagation Paper Award for his paper, "Eigen
Analysis of Wide-Band Fading Channel Impulse Responses", published in IEEE
Transactions on Vehicular Technology.
- Professor Gregor von Bochmann
receives the George S. Glinski Award for Excellence in Research.
- Professor Nicolas Georganas
receives The Engineering
Institute of Canada's Julian C. Smith Medal in recognition of outstanding
achievements in the development of Canada.
- Professor and SITE Director Emil
Petriu is named a Fellow of The
Engineering Institute of Canada.
- Nortel undergraduate CASE competition: We Win Again!
- Professor Nicolas Georganas
receives the 1999 Thomas W. Eadie
Medal from the Royal Society of Canada
for outstanding contributions to Engineering in the area of communications.
- Professor Pierre Berini receives
a 1999 URSI Young Scientist Award from the
Union Radio-Scientifique Internationale.