Mohammad Upal Mahfuz-S.I.T.E.-uOttawa-ON-Canada.
Ph.D. (Ongoing: September 2009 - Present) in Electrical Engineering, The University of Ottawa, Canada (Major: Nanoscale Communication and Networking)
M.Sc. in Geomatics Engineering, The University of Calgary, Canada, September 2008 (Major: Satellite based positioning and navigation).
M.Engg. in Telecommunications, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand, May 2005 (Major: Ultra wideband (UWB) wireless communications).
B.Sc. in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh, April 2002.
My research is on the characterization of concentration-encoded molecular communication system. I am particularly focussing on the modulation, detection, and intersymbol interference (ISI) aspects of concentration-encoded approach of molecular signaling. For more on my works please see the publications below.
- Bio-inspired nanoscale communication and networking: Molecular communication based nanoscale and biological entities.
- Ultra-wideband (UWB) wireless communications: Indoor (high data rate) and outdoor (low data rate) UWB systems.
- Satellite-based positioning and navigation: Global Positioning System (GPS), Communication signal processing and GPS receiver design.
- Emerging and sustainable technologies: Renewable energy systems & rural telecommunications for development, Information and communication technology (ICT) for sustainable development.
PUBLICATIONS (Since 2010)
DISCLAIMER / COPYRIGHT NOTICE: "This material is presented to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work. Copyright and all rights therein are retained by authors or by other copyright holders. All persons copying this information are expected to adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each author's copyright. In most cases, these works may not be reposted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder."
Non-commercial personal use of the materials available in this website is permitted. However, the material may not be reproduced in any form without prior written permission from the copyright holder and the website owner.
(A) Refereed Journals
- M.U. Mahfuz, D. Makrakis, and H.T. Mouftah “Performance Analysis of Convolutional Coding Techniques in Diffusion Based Concentration Encoded PAM Molecular Communication Systems,” BioNanoScience Journal, Springer, Vol. 3(3), pp. 270-284, 2013, DOI: 10.1007/s12668-013-0086-5. [Abstract]
- M.U. Mahfuz, D. Makrakis, and H.T. Mouftah “On the characterization of binary concentration-encoded molecular communication in nanonetworks,” Nano Communication Networks Journal, Elsevier Science, Vol.1 (2010), pp. 289-300.
[Abstract] (Ranked twice in the 'TOP 25 Hottest Articles' list in 2011)
(B) Refereed Conferences
- M.U. Mahfuz, D. Makrakis, and H.T. Mouftah, “A Generalized Strength-Based Signal Detection Model for Concentration-Encoded Molecular Communication,” in Proc. 8th International Conference on Body Area Networks (BodyNets 2013), Track: Nano-scale Communications and Networking (NCN), 30 Sept.-02 Oct. 2013, Boston, MA, USA, pp. NCN.1.1-NCN.1.7.
- M.U. Mahfuz, D. Makrakis, and H.T. Mouftah, “Sampling Based Optimum Signal Detection in Concentration-Encoded Molecular Communication: Receiver Architecture and Performance,” in Proc. 6th International Conference on Bio-inspired Systems and Signal Processing (BIOSIGNALS-2013), Barcelona, Spain, 11-14 February, 2013, pp. 372-376, DOI: 10.5220/0004305403720376, ISBN: 978-989-8565-36-5. [Abstract] [Link] [.PDF] (Paper # 95)
- M.U. Mahfuz, D. Makrakis, and H.T. Mouftah, “Concentration Encoded Molecular Communication: Prospects and Challenges Towards Nanoscale Networks,” in Proc. International Conference on Engineering, Research, Innovation and Education (ICERIE-2013), Sylhet, Bangladesh, 11-13 January, 2013, pp. 508-513. [.PDF]
- M.U. Mahfuz, D. Makrakis, and H.T. Mouftah, “Strength Based Receiver Architecture and Communication Range and Rate Dependent Signal Detection Characteristics of Concentration Encoded Molecular Communication,” in Proc. of Seventh International Conference on Broadband and Wireless Computing, Communication and Applications, Victoria, Canada, 12-14 November, 2012, pp. 28-35. [Abstract]
- M.U. Mahfuz, D. Makrakis, and H.T. Mouftah, “Transient Characterization of Concentration-Encoded Molecular Communication with Sinusoidal Stimulation,” in Proc. 4th International Symposium on Applied Sciences in Biomedical and Communication Technologies (ISABEL-2011), Barcelona, Spain, 26-29 October 2011, Article No. 14, pp. 1-6, ISBN: 978-1-4503-0913-4, doi: 10.1145/2093698.2093712. [Abstract]
- M.U. Mahfuz, D. Makrakis, and H.T. Mouftah, “A Comprehensive Study of Concentration-Encoded Unicast Molecular Communication with Binary Pulse Transmission,” in Proc. 11th IEEE International Conference on Nanotechnology (IEEE NANO-2011), Oregon, USA, 15-18 August, 2011, pp. 227-232. [Abstract]
- M.U. Mahfuz, D. Makrakis, and H. Mouftah, “On the Characteristics of Concentration-Encoded Multi-Level Amplitude Modulated Unicast Molecular Communication,” in Proc. 24th IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (IEEE CCECE-2011), Niagara Falls, ON, 8-11 May, 2011, pp. 312-316.[Abstract]
- M.U. Mahfuz, D. Makrakis, and H. Mouftah, “Characterization of Intersymbol Interference in Concentration-Encoded Unicast Molecular Communication,” in Proc. 24th IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (IEEE CCECE-2011), Niagara Falls, ON, 8-11 May, 2011, pp. 164-168.[Abstract]
- M.U. Mahfuz, D. Makrakis, and H. Mouftah, “On the Detection of Binary Concentration-Encoded Unicast Molecular Communication in Nanonetworks,” in Proc. 4th International Conference on Bio-inspired Systems and Signal Processing (BIOSIGNALS-2011), Rome, Italy, 26-29 January, 2011, pp. 446-449. [Abstract] [Link] [.PDF] (Paper # 74)
- M.U. Mahfuz, D. Makrakis, and H. Mouftah, “Spatiotemporal Distribution and Modulation Schemes for Concentration-Encoded Medium-To-Long Range Molecular Communication,” in Proc. 25th IEEE Biennial Symposium on Communications, Kingston, Canada, 12-14 May, 2010, pp. 100-105. [Abstract]
- M.U. Mahfuz, D. Makrakis, and H. Mouftah, “Characterization of Molecular Communication Channel for Nanoscale Networks,” in Proc. 3rd International Conference on Bio-inspired Systems and Signal Processing (BIOSIGNALS-2010), Valencia, Spain, 20-23 January, 2010, pp. 327-332. [Abstract] [Link] [.PDF] (Paper # 131)
Technical programme committee (TPC) member and/or reviewer of the following journal and conferences
- IEEE Symposium on Humanities, Science & Engineering Research (SHUSER-2012), Malaysia.
- IEEE Colloquium on Humanities, Science and Engineering Research. (CHUSHER-2011), Malaysia.
- BIONETICS-2011, special track on ‘Nanoscale Communication and Networking’, UK.
- BIOSIGNALS 2011, Rome, Italy.
- Member of Judges Panel, Ottawa Mechatronics Competition, March 2011, Ottawa, ON.
- Elsevier Nano Communications Networks Journal.
- International Conference on Science and Social-science Research (CSSR 2010), Malaysia.
- International Joint Conference Comp. Sci. Software Engineering (JCSSE 2010), Thailand.
- International Congress on Engineering Education (ICEED 2010), Malaysia.
- Math Support Volunteer, October-December, Riverside Alternative School, Ottawa, Canada.
- Wireless Personal Multimedia Conference (WPMC 2005), Denmark.
- International Symposium on Wireless Systems and Networks (ISWSN-2005).
NEWS ON NANOSCALE COMMUNICATION AND NETWORKS
NEWS ON ULTRAWIDEBAND COMMUNICATIONS AND NETWORKS
- "UWB Positioning System Helps Blind Navigate Indoors." (For details, click here) (Watch video here)
USEFUL UOTTAWA LINKS
Room- STE 5105
800 King Edward Avenue
Canada K1N 6N5.
Tel: (613) 562-5800 Ext. 6623
Fax: (613) 562-5664