SAM'04 : Instructions for Chairs and Presenters
Length of presentations
Presentations should be 20 minutes (maximum) in length. This will
allow for 4 minutes of questions at the end of the presentation, and
another 15-20 minutes of discussion at the end of the session
(depending on how many papers are presented at that session).
- If you use PowerPoint or a PDF file for your presentation, make
sure to use standard fonts or else please embed any special fonts you
- Please send us your presentation
before the event so we can install them in advance on the podium.
- Each presenter should send a short
biography by e-mail to his/her
session chair. Please refer to the Programme
Committee member list for e-mail addresses.
- If you need to use your laptop for your presentation, please
check that it will work properly on the room's projection system before
your session starts. Please have a backup solution that will work on
the podium computer however.
The workshop will be held in a
multimedia lecture hall, with the following facilities:
- Video projection: 1024x768 XGA
- Podium computer hardware:
- IBM PC, 1.6GHz, 256MB RAM
- DVD-ROM drive
- Diskette drive
- 250 MB Zip drive
- USB port
- RF wireless mouse
- Access to U. of Ottawa network and internet
- OS: Windows XP
- Wireless microphone
- Stereo sound system (for microphone, or from computer)
- Video (VGA) input jack to connect portable computers to the
- Transparency projector (can display on main screen or secondary
- Microsoft Office XP (PowerPoint, Word, etc.)
- Adobe PDF reader
- Ghostview PostScript viewer
- Netscape, Explorer browsers
- Zip/unzip compression utility
- NOTE: The software
configuration of the podium computer is frozen and special software
cannot be installed. If you require additional specialized
software – including any SDL or MSC tools – you will need to have it
installed on a portable computer.
For Session Chairs
During the break/lunch before your session
- Please ensure that you have met the presenters and that you have
their short biographies with you.
- Please ensure that the presentations are available on the podium
computer. If a speaker wishes to use a laptop, please have him/her
check that it will work properly on the room's projection system. It
might be a good idea to leave the laptop installed during the session;
the projector can switch quickly between the podium computer and the
- Please remind the presenters about the time limits that will be
imposed to them (20 minutes for the presentation or less, and 4 minutes
During the session
- Briefly introduce the presenter and the paper while he/she is
setting up his/her presentation on the podium as well as the wireless
- Signal the speaker when his/her time is almost over. Special
signs will be provided to the chair to announce that there are 5
minutes,1 minute, and no time left to the presentation.
- After the speaker finishes, lead the applause and then facilitate
the question and answer period for 4 minutes. You may want to prepare a
question yourself in advance in case there is a need to stimulate the
discussion (hopefully there won't be a need to!).
- Retrieve the microphone and give it to the next speaker.
- There should be 15-20 minutes available at the end of the session
for a general discussion on the papers presented. Again, please
facilitate and stimulate the discussion.
- You can close the session with a summary or closing remarks and
an appropriate thank you to the participants.
Thank you all for your cooperation!